Finding a Research Mentor
GW Faculty Database
GW faculty at GW, MFA, Children's and the VA who engage in research can be searched in the GW Faculty Database.
GW Faculty Proposals
Faculty propose summer research projects for medical students; these proposals are provided to students in December and are posted on the Gill Fellowship site.
Medical Student Opportunities (password protected)
The OSPE Opportunity Database contains information on summer programs at other institutions that host medical students in summer research.
NIH Office of Intramural Training & Education
The NIH Office of Intramural Training & Education (OITE) provides opportunities for medical students to conduct research at the NIH.
Submitting a fellowship proposal to support your summer research:
Here are tips to apply for funding:
- Identify faculty research mentor; communicate your interest in applying for funding. In addition to the opportunities below, the mentor may know of additional opportunities in the field.
- Identify a funding opportunity. Please see the following opportunities:
- External Minority Medical Student Award Program (MMSAP)
- External Minority Resident Hematology Award Program (MRHAP)
- External Hematology Graduate Award (MHGA)
- External national summer fellowships
- External diversity-targeted national fellowships
- External Diversity Supplement to the mentor’s NIH grant
- External medical student opportunities at other institutions
- GW Gill fellowships
- GW Health Services Scholarship Program
- External national year-out fellowships
- Submit an Intent to Submit a Proposal form as soon as you are considering an external fellowship. Many external medical student fellowship proposals require that you submit the proposal to their agency website; you must also submit the proposal information to GW. We suggest you turn this in at least four weeks before a proposal is due: it's never too early!
- Prepare the proposal, addressing any specific agency requirements, and plan for additional documentation.
- Seven working days before proposal is due: Submit complete package fully assembled (including all budgets, forms, application materials, and signatures) to the Pre-Award administrator Julia Bellafiore (email@example.com) for final review. GW Pre-award will continue sign offs with financial directors and the Office of the Vice President for Research (OVPR).
- Julia Bellafiore will email you when you may submit the final proposal to the agency website.
Contact Dr. Alison Hall, Dean of Research Workforce Development (firstname.lastname@example.org)